04/05/2009 - THIS is why I love Hong Kong !!



Given the recession blah blah etc a lot of us were choosing to stay put for the long weekend instead of jetting off on an Asian adventure to cure ones mind from HK cabin fever and restore ones mental well being from enforced slave labour working hours.

The gods of bank holidays decided to wave a magic wand of happiness across Hong Kong last weekend and did bless us with the most fantabulous weather imaginable! It was warm, but not too hot. Devoid of humidity and sunny sunny sunny clear blue skies that made you want to jump out of bed, throw open the windows, and shout TRA LA la LA lAaaaa at the top of your voice :)

Deciding to take full advantage, feeling thoroughly up for an adventure of previously unexplored HK lands, and wanting to kick start the marathon training, I enlisted the newly titled 'travel ambassador' SnT to lead me on a... wait for it..... hiking and camping surf trip. In Hong Kong I hear you mutter. Yes indeed... its not all parties and glamtastic city living there is also a wealth of beautiful countryside to take advantage of.
Now I know many of you may be scoffing... Tanya, camping?! But folks it is to be believed, I must be maturing in my old age for despite my previous vocal views on camping I was 'well up for it'.

Continuing to further your disbelief, I donned a big ass backpack - BACKPACK!... but drew the line at ugly yet sensible hiking shoes... (instead putting my trust in the blessed Birkenstocks) and off we set to the new territories, destination Tai Long Wan.

Drove 40mins to Sai Kung, bus to Wong Shek Pier, Boat to Chek Keng and then a super steep gun building (oh my god what did I put in that sodding backpack) monster hike across the mountains to Tai Wan village.
Set up camp on one of the most stunning beaches, surfed, ate noodles, sunbathed, built campfires and rested and chillaxed to the maximum for the entire weekend... even escaping death by mossie bites (due to half hourly application of 'DIE you bastards DIE!' mossie repellent spray).















SPOTTED:
This Ironic scene:


An angry 6ft cobra snake, looking for a human leg snack.


Thistles - Hang on a minute Im half way up a mountain and there is a thistle... have I possibly accidentally stumbled into Scotland?


Its back to work today, I do not even slightly have that 'bluggh horrid Monday' feeling... Im sensing this could be a more favourable option as opposed to drowning myself in tequila, polluting my lungs with fiery cigarette smoke, and eating human sized portions of chips n cheese on the weekends.

Lots of love from a sunkissed, relaxed and 'oooh I feel the gun-burn' Tx

0 comments: